February 25 @ 6:30 pm - 10:30 pm
February 26 @ 6:30 pm - 10:30 pm
February 27 @ 6:30 pm - 10:30 pm
March 2 @ 6:00 pm - 11:30 pm
March 4 @ 6:30 pm - 10:30 pm
March 5 @ 6:30 pm - 10:30 pm
March 6 @ 6:30 pm - 10:30 pm
March 9 @ 6:00 pm - 11:30 pm
The Province of Guernsey and Alderney in the Channel Islands is one of the smallest Provinces of the United Grand Lodge of England, supporting just eleven Lodges.
Freemasonry came to Guernsey, the second largest Island in the Channel Islands, in 1753 in the reign of King George II. The Grand Master of the Ancient & Honourable Society of Free and Accepted Masons was John Proby Baron of Carysfort in the County of Wicklow, Ireland, and Freemasonry was spreading fast across the length and breadth of the land.
May 10th 1753 witnessed the birth of the first Lodge in Guernsey, the Lily Tavern Lodge No. 228 in St. Peter Port by the Moderns Grand Lodge.
- When Masons met in a Mosque.
- Meet the UK’s oldest poppy seller.
- The Launch of Solomon.
- The Football Lodge playing for keeps.
- Hampshire Motorcycling Freemasons dress as Santa to present local charity with 1,500 presents for Children.
- Immortalised in Bronze and Glass. A closer look at the Roll of Honour and the Shrine in Freemasons’ Hall.
- Giving young people a second chance to learn at Jamie’s Farm.
- MCF donate over £280,000 to support people affected by floods, famine and hurricanes.
On Saturday 15th September 2018 a spectacular milestone occurred in our history when Keith Read was installed as only the ninth Provincial Grand Master since the Province of Guernsey & Alderney was inaugurated in the then St Julian’s Hall, St Peter Port on 23rd July 1894. An event so rare, in fact, that over 35% of current membership, who joined Masonry since 2007, had not had an opportunity to witness the like before.
To enable the maximum number of members to participate, the Installation took place at St James Concert and Assembly Hall, a beautiful building in the Greek revival style completed in 1818, which is a striking and prominent part of St Peter Port’s elegant townscape. Over 200 brethren attended, 30 of these visiting from London, the Provinces and France.
The occasion was enhanced by the attendance of several officers from Grand Lodge. The Installing Officer was Sir David Wootton, the Assistant Grand Master, who was accompanied by Dr David Staples, the Grand Secretary and Deputy Grand Directors of Ceremonies.
Keith, who is a past master of St Sampson’s Lodge No. 2598, joined masonry in Brittany, France in 1979, and has been our Deputy Provincial Grand Master since 2013, was also be installed as the Most Excellent Grand Superintendent of The Royal Arch during a morning ceremony, which was followed by a festive luncheon at the nearby Duke of Richmond Hotel.
In 1998 we moved into our purpose-built Masonic Centre in St Martin’s.
We are very proud of this magnificent building, a building much admired by visiting brethren.
For whatever reason you are visiting this website, we do hope that you will find it both interesting and informative.
Images opposite courtesy of Mike Stanford.